How many times have you heard ‘unprecedented’ since the COVID19 season hit us? It truly has been just that! I heard a new one today that was beginning to be tiresome for some and that is ‘fluid’. It’s true, that word totally captures so much of our current path – fluid – who knows the future. In our challenges, I find great hope.
Do you see opportunity?
Recently while spending some time in quiet devotion, I was inspired by a simple phrase in the midst of a powerful story. Early believers and leaders in the Christian faith were sharing the hope found in Christ. In Acts we find a leading disciple, Peter, in a situation that had options. He had choices about what to do next, and it says in Acts 3:12 “He saw his opportunity and addressed the crowd.” NLT
I know that is teasing out a bit of an obscure phrase in the midst of the situation of this narrative, but Peter, in his situation assessed the situation, saw the opportunity and pressed “go!”
What are the opportunities?
I have been considering much through this season, as we all have I’m sure. One of my dear leader coach friends, Jeremie, challenges people to consider on their next steps in the journey what will be “my aha take-aways, and what will be left behind.”
Here are some things on my “take-away, leave behind” list:
- More time reserved to think, rest and ponder. Simply, slow down.
- I am leaving behind mindless churn. There was a pace that was not even recognizable for so many of us until this time-out.
- More time invested in simple time with family and friends; meals, walks.
- More time invested in relationships at work and in my own neighborhood – meaningful conversations.
- More time invested in things that build strength in mind, body and spirit.
- Flexible work environments and options.
- Usage of technology and innovation; zoom, online media – for everything: family, meetings, connectivity, groups, large broadcasts, and podcasts!
- Simply, and like Peter, using every opportunity to share how my faith in Christ gives me strength, in good and bad, stress free times and times of panic!
- This is just a start…
Take this time to consider what you see, and then seize the opportunity. Time to start the engines in a new way!